With travel plans overhauled when Lana was suddenly injured, both Bryce and Lana also have chronic health conditions. They will tell how they prepared for an ambitious nomadic year away, and how they adapted to ‘worst case scenario’ situations. Hear about their trip from Saskatchewan to Newfoundland, to England, France, Toronto, then Thailand, Bali, Burma, and Malaysia. Although travels strayed from the original plans, their relationship with one another, and unexpected time spent with family and friends is the silver lining.
For show notes and more, visit www.libbyj.ca
- Lana had lived and worked with Karen people(refugees from the Kayin Statein Myanmar (Burma)) both in Thailand as a volunteer 20 years ago and more recently in Saskatoon as an EAL Teacher.
- While travelling with insulin, Lana used FRIO(a light and compact cooling device that she could use in her backpack) “Truly a life-changer.”
- Sites including Booking.com; tripadvisor.com; workaway.com; airbnb.comand the discussion boards on lonelyplanet.comwere incredibly useful resources.
- To get around, try GoCar in Asia (like Uber) and Blablacar in Europe.
- Lana and Bryce did volunteer/culture exchange Workaway in France and Thailand
- Lana mentions seeing -but unsuccessfully being photographed with- “platform 9 ¾” from the Harry Potter series in London!
- The hardest thing was to leave pets for a year with their families. “We really felt the difference. We held them even closer since we’ve been back.”
- Loved flying with Turkish air!